Follow along, It'll be fun!!

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Circle Drawings!

Today I subbed in my son's middle school for one of his teachers. It was fun being my son's teacher for the day.

I wanted to have an activity that the students could do if they finished the work that their teacher had assigned. I decided to put a spin on a project that I created for the fifth graders a couple of years ago. I did circle paintings with the fifth grade . Of course, I did not want to lug my paint supplies to school so I decided do circle drawings with the students.

The supplies you need for this activity are: index card with a circle traced on it, and a pen or a pencil. I told the kids it was like doodling.

A couple of hint I gave them to get started: Draw a shape or line on one side of the circle than repeat it on the other side, continue until your circle is filled (symmetrical design!) or divide your circle into segments and fill each section with a different pattern. I showed them my examples below to give them ideas. The activity was a hit! Some even said they were going to do more at home:) This was a great time filler at the end of class and kept the kids working quietly. They even learned a little something about art:) We talked about line, shape, pattern, texture, composition, value and contract. We even talked a little bit about drawing techniques for pen and pencil. We sure packed a lot into a little filler activity!


Circledrawing

6 comments:

Miriam said...

that is awesome, I am going to do that that I love the look almost 3D
Mom

Sandra Wilkes said...

Good idea. Hope I remember it. It is a smart, smart sub who brings activities along. :)

Teresa @ ♥ Too Many Heartbeats ♥ said...

Those are really neat!

Hi, I'm stopping by from SITS! I just wanted to share a bit of comment love.♥ I hope the rest of your week is absolutely amazing!

Teresa <><

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

really cool! I always love subbing in my childrens classes

Karen M. Peterson said...

Completely subconsciously, I picked up a pen and started doodling while I was reading this!

Anonymous said...

Here from SITS. Love your blog design. These drawings are awesome.