Thanksgiving is a few days away, and I'm trying to spruce up my home, to get ready for company. My kitchen table is an eye sore, to put it mildly! The chairs are upholstered with what was once white fabric. The fabric is now brownish gray, dirty and stained. It is very embarrassing to have people come in and see it this way. Even if I clean it, the stains are still there. What to do?! I do not sew or upholster, but I do paint!!
This project was done in two days, completely using paint only!!
Here are the supplies that I used:
1. Black Fabric paint 4 bottles @ $6 ea =$24
2. Metallic Glaze paint 1 jar @ $6
3. Spray paint Espresso Stain finish 4 cans @ $4 ea =12
4. Natural Sea Sponge
5. Kitchen Sponge
6. Soft bristle chip paintbrush
7. Screw driver
Total cost of supplies = $42
Steps by Step:
1. With a Philips screw driver, I disassembled the cushions (seats and backs) from metal frames and removed glass top from base. Wiped down all frames to remove any surface dirt.
2. Took all the metal frames outside in an open space and spray painted all frames. This spray paint worked great! One coat only!
3. While the frames dried, I cleaned all of the cushions with warm water and kitchen sponge. I removed all surface dirt. Allowed cushions, a few hours, to dry. It's ok to paint on if they are still slightly damp.
4. Using a soft bristle chip brush, I painted all cushions with fabric paint. One generous coat was all that was needed to cover the white fabric. Allowed to dry overnight.
5. Next day, I applied, with a sea sponge, metallic glaze to all frames. Allowed glaze to dry to touch (A few minutes) and reattached cushions to chairs. Put glass back on base and done!
6. Wait a few days before sitting on chairs. It will be ready just in time for company!:)
This table was a hand me down from my sister-in-law, so it was free initially. I feel like I have a brand new set!!