Follow along, It'll be fun!!

Friday, December 24, 2010

Spreading Christmas Joy!

Last year on December 30th I wrote a post about saving for Christmas this year.

Photobucket

The idea was to fill this Christmas popcorn tin with our spare change and what ever we collected would be our Christmas money. Well, when we counted the change a few weeks ago we discovered that we had $50. Not bad but not as good as we had hoped. Turns out, when you use your debit card more often than cash it's hard to accumulate coins. Anyway, the kids and I were trying to decide what to do with the money. First, I thought I would split the money between my two sons so that they could buy Christmas presents for each other. Then my nine year old suggested that we give it to charity. That was a wonderful idea and truly embodied the spirit of Christmas!

Today we went over to Kmart, where a Salvation Army bell ringer was stationed, and the kids joyfully emptied all of the coins into the tin.

Photobucket

We hope our coins can help a family this Christmas.

The kids felt so good about giving the money that they can't wait to do it again next year! When we got back into the car my older son opened the change purse in my wallet and dumped all the change into the Christmas tin. They are hoping to double their total next year!

Merry Christmas!!
Have fun spreading joy!

2 comments:

CraftyMummy said...

Merry Christmas, Cindy! Great story!

Michelle said...

Sounds like you are doing a great job with the kids. Congrats. This is such a great story.