Follow along, It'll be fun!!

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Taking stock!

Well, the inventory is growing! I am loving my chalkboard business! Every week I go out to find frames for my boards. The hunt is so much fun! As you can see, we have gathered quite a collection. It is starting to take over our home. We may try to sell them at craft fairs and farmers markets this fall. We have sold 14 chalkboards so far! Not bad:)


This has become a family adventure. Chris(my guy) is the one who makes all of the chalkboards. He likes to keep busy (he has been out of work since February). Chris is an amazing guy! I'll have to start posting some of the projects he has done around our home. The other day I was talking to my neighbors, who live across the street and the husband said, "Would you tell your husband to stop doing so much, he's making me look bad!"

Chris and I are a team! I usually am the visionary and he is the one to make the vision a reality. And sometimes it's the other way around. Together we make it happen!

In these hard times we are trying to use our abilities and resources to keep us afloat until things improve.

Here are the steps that go into making and selling our lovely chalkboards.
1. Go frame huntings. This usually takes place on the weekends. (Saturday morning garage sales)
2. Measure the frames and cut the boards to fit.
3. Paint the boards.
4. Put boards in frames. This involves nailing and hammering.
5. Give back a finished look with heavy brown paper and nail in a sawtooth hanger, for hanging.
6. Chalk it Up! (In order to condition the board, you have to chalk it up and wipe it off)
7. The photo shoot!
8. Back to the computer to edit the photos.
9. List chalkboards on etsy.
10. Blog about them.
11. Sell!
12. Once sold, we make custom boxes out of recycled cardboard (which I collect from stores around town) for shipping.
13. Write thank you note and pack it up safely.
14. Bring package to post office and ship!
I call this one "Romance" (corny, I know)
And this is "Shadow Box". I love this one because there is a place to hold the chalk. I found two of these frames, and gave one shadow box chalkboard to my mom. She loves it!
Here's a peek at what it looks like when it's ready to be shipped.


Like I said, my husband and I are a team. I am so thankful for him.

There's a good chance that he will get a job offer in the next day or two, from a very good company. (Cross your fingers) If that happens, it will be a really good thing. But I will miss spending all the time together. And knowing Chris, he will still help with making the chalkboards.
We're a little disappointed that we didn't get to open our bagel shop. He makes the most amazing bagels! I feel like we have to share them with the world. I was serious about setting up a bagel stand in front of our house on the weekends. The kids really want to sell them too. Don't be surprised if you see a post about our bagel stand...

Are you going through a rough time financially? If so are you getting creative? I'd love to hear what you are doing? We have to keep the entrepreneurial spirit alive!

Counting my Blessing, today and everyday.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

The Redhead Riter said...

That is great that you have a marriage where you can work together. Some of your frames are just AMAZING so it pays off!

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers! don't give up on the bagels...the stand in the front yard may just be how you will start out! what a great story that would be :-)

Unknown said...

That's such an interesting look into your process, you seem to have it down! :)

I have a list like that, too and I sometimes like to think that it flows smoothly...lol

Amy said...

This is so great you two do this. Right now I am just trying not to buy what we do not need. Then we take little trips around. Have a great day.

Karen M. Peterson said...

Good luck to your husband on the job! Fingers and toes are crossed for him!

And I'm glad you guys are such a great team.

MoxieMamaKC said...

Fingers crossed for your hubby, and just wanted to let you know those are wonderful chalkboards. Tres cool!